Montana Suffolk Sheep Breeders Association
Ewe Grant Application
The Montana Suffolk Breeders Association was founded in 1981. The purpose of the
association is to foster, promote and develop the Suffolk breed and the sheep industry
The MSSBA is awarding one $300 grant to be used for the purchase of a Suffolk ewe
lamb or yearling ewe. This grant is for a male or female youth between the ages
of 9 and 16 and a resident of the State of Montana.
The following requirements are to be met by the recipient of said grant:
- Purchase ewe from a current MSSBA member on or before November 15th. If unable to
do so, ewe grant will then be awarded to next qualifying youth on November 16th.
Payment of ewe will be made directly to said breeder from the MSSBA.
- Maintain and breed ewe in flock for two years. Should ewe become non viable to production
before two year period has expired (i.e. barren, non functional udder, prolapse)
and youth wishes to cull said ewe, the MSSBA must be notified in writing with a detailed
description of why ewe is non viable to production. Said request will then be reviewed
by MSSBA board members to determine if youth shall be granted permission to cull
ewe prior to two year period.
- Maintain a youth membership with the MSSBA for two years. The first year will be
paid by the MSSBA.
Requirements of ewe that is to be purchased:
- Ewe purchased must be either a ewe lamb or a yearling ewe.
- Ewe must be genetically tested by an approved facility for the spider gene and scrapie
factor (Codon 171). Ewe must test NN for spider gene and either QR or RR for scrapie
factor. Testing is the responsibility of the breeder. Once a copy of the testing
results is received, the MSSBA will make payment to the breeder for said ewe in the
amount not to exceed $300.
- Ewe cannot be parrot mouthed.
- Ewe must come from registered breeding stock.
The following application must be completed and post marked by May 1st.
Decision about the winner of the Ewe Grant will be notified on May 15th.
EWE GRANT APPLICATION
Application can be mailed to:
Jane Rath Secretary
296 Wyttenhove Lane
Miles City, MT 59301
Revised 11/10, 11/11